Marine Structural Designer
Seattle , WA | Contract to Hire
Marine Structural Designer
A senior level position responsible for independently developing complex marine structural designs. A Designer 1 is responsible for guiding junior designers on structural designs, and for performing quality assurance functions.
- Evaluate engineering concepts and develop functional structural designs of marine vessels and components.
- Produce new structural plans with little or no guidance.
- Provide design support to project team members by reviewing project requirements, meeting with clients and project team members, and drafting project reports.
- Provide feedback to the project manager on project progress, client issues, and potential problems with proposed solutions.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with USCG and ABS regulations.
- Document work activities, significant project events, and project related communications by maintaining a personal log and company files.
- Participate in the continuous improvement of internal design processes, procedures, and standards.
- Safeguard client and EBDG proprietary materials, ideas, copyrights, and inventions.
- Foster a continuous learning philosophy among the design and junior engineering staff.
- Actively manage personal efforts to complete design tasks within the prescribed budget.
- Coach and mentor the activities of less experienced designers and junior engineers.
- Maintain positive relationships with the existing EBDG clients and develop positive relationships with new and prospective clients.
- Be available after normal business hours to provide design support to meet critical deadlines.
- Identify sales opportunities associated with current projects and report these to the project manager.
- High school diploma or GED
- Work experience with licensed engineering firms or with marine related production or transportation industries
- AutoCAD certificate or equivalent experience
- Strong AutoCAD and Rhino skills – will consider someone that is only familiar with Rhino (can be trained)
- Thorough understanding of marine construction materials
- Familiar with creation of welding schedules
Internal or External Vocational Experience:
Typically, eight or more years of professional experience performing detail design. Shall also have extensive professional experience in marine construction and repair, and/or industrial engineering, Coast Guard regulations, classification society rules, and marine transportation.
- Ability to operate computer work station in an office environment.
- Ability to conduct strenuous vessel inspections including climbing ladders and working in confined spaces.