Hardware Design Engineer
Cambridge, MA 02139 US
Hardware Design Engineer
Location: Cambridge, MA. Hybrid (2 days remote)
Duration: 12+ months
Clearance: Active Secret Required
We are seeking a hard-working and well-rounded Senior Hardware Design Engineer for the Embedded Electronics Group. This is an electrical design position that requires the ability to apply sound engineering and project management principles for the leadership and execution of sophisticated board design projects within the Electronics Division.
The ideal candidate is someone who works well in multi-functional teams and has recent experience designing systems using innovative commercial off-the-shelf FGPAs, processors, or systems on a chip (SOCs). It is encouraged that this engineer can start fast on complex PCB designs with limited oversight and learning curve.
- System architecture design and documentation
- Detailed electrical design including component selection, schematic capture, and analysis
- Develop board placement and layout guidelines and lead PCB layout design resources
- Prototype bring up and debug
- Functional verification
- Performance characterization
- BSEE, MSEE preferred.
- 7+ years overall experience.
- Phenomenal EE fundamentals with strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Experience in the following areas: system integration, processor selection, analog circuit design (op-amps, filters), sensor design and integration, data acquisition, sampling and control theory, digital signal processing techniques, and low power design.
- Experience designing PCBs that integrate commercial pioneering processors, FPGAs and systems on a chip (SOCs). Some examples may include Xilinx Virtex/Zync/Ultrascale, Microsemi Smartfusion/PolarFire, and Intel Stratix 10 devices.
- Experience with small embedded digital/mixed-signal systems, especially low power embedded processors (ARM, DSP, MCU, etc.).
- Low-level understanding of programming languages such as python, C and VHDL in order to understand the basic functionality and operation of the FPGAs, SOCs or processors used in designs.
- Experience designing high-speed communication and/or memory interfaces (i.e. PCIe, Ethernet, DDR3/4, Multi-gigabit Transceivers). Experience using SI simulation tools such as HyperLynx for signal integrity simulation and verification is preferred.
- Experience designing power distribution networks for processors, FPGAs or SOCs. Experience using PI simulation tools such as Ansys SIwave for simulation and verification of power distribution networks is a plus.
- System grounding/shielding and EMI mitigation techniques for complex sensor/actuator systems.