Senior RF System Design Engineer
Senior RF Design Engineer
Secure radio communications and embedded high-grade encryption solutions for military, government and commercial organizations and a leading supplier of assured communications systems and equipment for public safety, utility and transportation markets, with products ranging from the most advanced IP voice and data networks to portable and mobile single- and multiband radios.
- The Senior RF Design Engineer is a subject matter expert in the theory and practical application of RF propagation modeling. Their focus is on analyzing RF coverage, determining the impact of terrain and building structures on the refraction of the RF energy, and calculating coverage design risk which is probabilistic and statistical in nature.
- The Senior RF Design Engineer interprets customer “ Request for Proposal” documents to identify coverage design, and coverage testing requirements. They understand the various technologies employed in land mobile radio systems; OpenSky, ProVoice, EDACS and P25 Phase 1 & 2.
- The Senior RF Design Engineer works across organizations to identify optimal RF antenna sub-system equipment, verify specifications and performance, and recommend strategic suppliers.
- Work with the sales team and the design engineers to make recommendations on design strategies that will produce winning proposals with low risk of implementation.
- Review preliminary and final coverage designs for the design engineer, identify design problems, recommend corrective actions, analyze design risk, provide risk mitigation actions, and optimize system design solutions.
- Analysis customer frequency allocations and their impact on coverage design alternatives, FCC license regulatory issues, and equipment configurations.
- Reviews, modifies, and approves all final coverage designs, coverage maps, and coverage acceptance test plans provided to customers.
- Provide RF coverage design and analysis in support of specific proposals and projects as required by the business.
- Create test plans and performs testing to define relevant coverage design parameters including but not limited to: terminal antenna gain, portable antenna body loss, and system channel performance criteria.
- Provide consultation, mentoring, and training to design and implementation engineers on a variety of RF coverage design issues.
- Participate in discussions and presentations to customers, consultants, vendors and other company personnel as necessary to support sales and project implementation.
- May write custom coverage acceptance test documents for unique proposal and project implementation test requirements.
- Occasional travel required in support of project efforts to present design solutions to customers.
- BSEE degree and 15+ years of demonstrated technical experience in telecommunications systems design, with emphasis in design of RF antenna systems and two-way land mobile radio voice and data systems.
- MSEE degree and 12+ years of comparable experience in the design of RF communication systems.
- PhD degree and 9+ years of comparable experience in the design of RF communication systems.