System Safety Engineer
Sterling Heights, MI
The System Safety Senior Engineer duties include the development of the Safety Assessment Report (SAR) and the Hazard Tracking System (HTS) for vehicle platform vehicles and the activities throughout the design life cycle of the project and vehicle. They shall ensure their system safety tasks and quality products are completed on-time. Their roles and responsibilities include:
Top 3 Technical Skills:
- MIL-STD 882E
- System Safety Background
- Vehicle Design and Systems experience
Role and Responsibilities
- Perform hazard analysis of systems (Conceptual, developmental, fielded) to identify safety hazards and populate the Hazard Tracking System (HTS).
- Ensure an acceptable level of safety is implemented in the design and throughout the life cycle of all products.
- Prepare and interpret System Safety Design Requirements.
- Prepare and maintain a System Safety Program Plan (SSPP).
- Work with Design and Development Engineers to accomplish system safety design requirements.
- Prepare safety documents including Safety Assessment Reports, Health Hazard Assessment Reports, and Hazard Analysis Reports to document the safety evaluation and risk assumed prior to operation/test of a system.
- Identify safety critical functions including software functions and level of rigor for verification of requirements to ensure safe operations
- Investigate and document safety incidents on client produced vehicles.
- Support concurrent engineering reviews, tech reviews, and internal/external checkpoint reviews
- Provide status to functional and program management on program tasks as required
- Achieve and maintain proficiency in safety tools & methodologies
- Experience of application of System Safety Engineering to vehicles and products (not just Organizational Health and Safety)
- Experience in application of System Safety Engineering to combat vehicles a plus.
- Knowledge of Mil-STD-882E including the software aspect (SwCI, LOR) and other safety related standards
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering required.
- Must be able to obtain a military vehicle safe work requirements entry authorization card
- Ability to work independently and creatively solve complex problems
- Ability to manage multiple system safety projects
- Serve as the technical safety expert for management and with the customers safety representative
- Proficient in writing technical reports that are delivered to the customer
- Ability to make decisions in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Must be able to travel to field sites and subcontractors.
- Must have or be able to obtain security clearance.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience