Projected Description/Purpose of Role:
The System Administrator/Platform Reliability Engineer will be part of a team delivering “ Platform” as a capability supporting the Air Force Air Operations Center (AOC) program. This team of Platform Operations specialists works directly with the AF Product Owner and the Development team to provide a Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment on Dell VXRails based Infrastructure. This is a Linux/Windows based environment utilized to create new capabilities for the Air Operations Centers. The team utilizes Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) to provide the PaaS and seeks to continuously improve the state of the running production system through automation. This is a diverse team of highly skilled operators who embrace Agile and DevOps to pioneer a radically new concept for rapid delivery of software mission capabilities to the AOC program
As a Platform Reliability Engineer, you will receive On The Job training in PCF and then be responsible for installation, maintenance, upgrades, monitoring, and management of Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes technologies as a managed service in the AOC production environment. Along with managing the entire deployment and operations lifecycle of these platforms and supporting technologies.
Work location is at Langley AFB, Hampton, VA. There will be occasional travel for training and to AOC sites to provide PCF Platform support.
This role will include, but is not limited to tasks like the following:
• Create, implement and manage Pivotal Cloud Foundry deployments
• Provide expertise for operational management of Pivotal Cloud Foundry on monitoring, management, disaster recovery, security compliance/auditing, networking, storage, service brokers and buildpacks
• Develop and deliver configuration and deployment automation through PCF required for continuously improving the functionality, availability, and manageability of platform and associated services.
• Set up administrator and service accounts, maintaining system documentation and troubleshooting
• Uses scripting tools to develop automated “ self-service” capabilities in the PaaS for the development teams.
• Works closely with developers in troubleshooting issues.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active DoD Secret (or above) Security clearance
• Subject Matter Expertise in System Administration of Linux/Unix Operating Systems
• Experience developing automation solutions with competence in scripting languages for automating frequently executed activities.
• Working knowledge of networking concepts and experience with relevant technologies such as Load Balancers/DNS/SSL/Firewalls/NAT/NTP
• Experience troubleshooting Operating Systems and Applications
• Experience with Identity and Access Management (IDAM) technologies
• Experience with large scale production systems and dealing with production issues
• Strong experience working as part of a team collaborating on problem resolution.
• 4+ years of experience in related fields or technologies to this job description
• Experience with Cloud Foundry, Pivotal Cloud Foundry and/or Kubernetes
• Experience working with one or more of the following: VMWare vSphere, ESXi, NSX-V, NSX-T
• Experience solving problems at the Linux/Unix command line
• Experience in an Agile/DevOps/DevSecOps environment
• Experience with one or more system monitoring, alerting and analytics technologies
• Professional Certifications such as: RHCE, Linux+, MCSA, AWS Solutions Architect, AWS Developer, Security +, CISSP, CCNA
• A software development or DevOps automation background.
• Experience administering the Windows Server operating system
• Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IAC) tools (e.g. Chef, Puppet, BOSH)